Monday, January 10, 2011

Response to Readings: "Anger and Humiliation" and "Voices in the Dark"

Read and annotate "Anger and Humiliation" with questions and comments.  Make special note of the description of Adolf Hitler.  Highlight any clues or statements on his personality, personal life, beliefs. In class on Tuesday we will be making an identity chart for him.  Also, on pg. 124, carefully read the Nazi Party program.  

Choose two points of this program that you think are especially unfair.  
The two points that I chose were (4) "German blood as a requirement for German citizenship. No Jew can be a member of the nation" and (7) "The state ensures that every citizen live decently and earn his livelihood. If it is impossible to provide food for the entire population, then aliens must be expelled".
Why are they unfair?  
I think that these points are unfair because who determines who is fit to be a member of any community or nation. I also think that during a food shortage, kicking out a certain community of people just because you can't feed the rest of the population is totally unfair.

Which ones do you have questions about?
I have a question about (3) "Land and territory (colonies) for our surplus population". What does this point mean?

Then, read "Voices in the Dark".  Annotate with questions and comments.  Then, answer this question:  
If you had been on the train, do you think you would have said or done anything?  Have you or someone you know ever had a similar experience?
If I was on that train, I would have just sat there and not have said anything because then what good will it do to me? I have had an experience like that when my friends were having a discussion about the computers we owned. I told them that I had an old HP computer that I was still using and the next morning they weren't talking to me because of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment